Photo Exhibition "Fourscapes and Chronotopes"
- Photo exhibition by Christiane Maria Binder, Nataliya Gorbina, Kieran Harrington, and Sarah Neef
- When: 8.10.2018, 17:00 – 7.11.2018, 16:00
- Where: central library
- Opening: Monday, 8.10.2018, 17:00 in the foyer of the central library
- The exhibition takes a visual approach to temporal and spatial relationships in life and in photography as another mode of artistic representation. The contributors come from Ireland, Russia and Germany. They explore their own as well as foreign cultures through the lens of the camera, discovering surprising vistas of life abroad, but also unusual aspects of life at home. The extraordinary, the unorthodox, the exciting or the uncanny lurking beneath the surface of the ordinary can become the centre of attention at any moment.
In taking these approaches the four contributors employ highly different perspectives, using very individual methods and styles. The photo exhibition presents a selection of chronotopic encounters with nature, landscape, cityscape, culture, and art. You are welcome to share these experiences, respond to the visual epiphanies and engage in discussions.
- For more information, please see the poster.
30.10.2018: Bühnenstück "Mary Shelley" (2012)
“How mutable are our feelings, and how strange is that clinging love
we have of life even in the excess of misery!”
- "Mary Shelley" (Helen Edmundson, UK 2012 [in parts & in English])
- English Theater Group Studiobühne U215, TU Dortmund, Emil-Figge-Straße 50
- 18:00, ca. 90 minutes
- free admission
- As part of our Frankenreads-week, we invite you to an evening about Mary Shelley's life as British playwright Helen Edmundson interpreted it in her play of the same name in 2012. The English Theater Group of the Department of British and American Studies at TU Dortmund University will show us excerpts of her view on the captivating family history behind the author Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin Shelley. The performance invites the audience to have a look at the often tragic backgrounds that led to the creation of one of the most famous horror stories of world literature.
31.10.2018: Reading & Discussion: Frankenstein, Or the Modern Prometheus (1818)
- Reading & Discussion (in German and English)
- Ev. Pauluskirche, Schützenstraße 35, 44147 Dortmund
- 18:00 (doors open at 17:30)
- free admission
- On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s global bestseller Frankenstein, Or the Modern Prometheus (1818), the English Department of TU Dortmund University organises a special Halloween-Reading. Initiated by the Keats-Shelley Association of America, there will be so-called Frankenreads-Events on Halloween 2018 in more than 90 countries all over the world (frankenreads.org). In cooperation with Dortmund’s Paulus Church we dive into the uncanny atmosphere of this piece of world literature. Mary Shelley‘s Frankenstein has proven its incredible topicality – now and then – no matter if dealing with controversies concerning religion, politics, or the state of natural sciences.
On Halloween 2018, the event church of the Protestant Lydia-parish will transform into a place where entertainment meets cultural knowledge. Scholars from different departments of TU Dortmund University will read parts of the original text (in English) and complement these passages with critical perspectives (in German), multimedia installations and musical interludes.
We invite everybody to come and hear, discuss and celebrate with us one of the most famous works of Gothic fiction in this unique setting.
Call for Papers: Annual Inter-Varietal Applied Corpus Studies (IVACS) One-Day Symposium
- Convenors: Kieran Harrington and Patricia Ronan
- The Annual IVACS One-Day Symposium, which will be hosted by the Institute of British and American Studies, Dortmund University, will be held on the 29th March, 2019. The venue for the symposium is the IBZ Conference Centre in the University of Dortmund. This edition’s main theme is ‘Corpus Linguistics and the Classroom’.
- Abstracts should not exceed 300 words (excluding references).
- The deadline for receipt of abstracts is the 23rd of November 2018.
- Outcome of CfP: December 14th, 2018.
- Abstracts should be sent by email, as MS Word documents to: email@example.com
- Please see here for further information and here for the website.
Young researchers Forum of the English Department TU Dortmund (YRFE)
- Provide a platform for support
- Encourage & guide young researchers
- Discuss our work
- Practice and set objectives for research
- Carry out joined projects with other institutions
- Encourage participants’ presentations at conferences
- Express thinking skills and imbibe a sense of confidence
- Practice ability to organize and analyse available resources
- Adopt and develop creativity
- Share ideas on analytical tools and research methods
- All sections of the English department (all researchers including MA students).
- Presentation of papers, research findings etc.
- Scheduled Meetings:
- To be discussed by the group.
- If you have any questions or would like to join the forum, please contact Bridget Fonkeu.
Praktika an bilingualen Kindertagesstätten und Grundschulen in Dortmund
Wer die Chance nutzen möchte, an bilingual unterrichtenden Kitas und Schulen in Dortmund englischsprachige Lehrkräfte zu unterstützen, innovative Unterrichtskonzepte 'first-hand' zu erleben und praktische Erfahrungen zu machen, kann sich an folgende Ansprechpartnerinnen wenden:
- Grundschulen: Vera Gelissen, DIPS Koordinatorin und Schulleitung Kreuzgrundschule firstname.lastname@example.org
Die Praktikumsplätze sind für alle Englischstudierenden offen, die Anzahl von Praktikumsplätzen ist nicht begrenzt und ein bestimmter Zeitraum für die Anmeldung ist nicht festgelegt.
Hilfe und Unterstützung bei der Literaturrecherche
Die Fachreferentin Christina Ringel bietet folgende reguläre Sprechstunden für Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaftler an:
- Mi., 9.30 - 10.30 Uhr in der Emil-Figge-Bibliothek
- Fr., 11.30 - 12.30 Uhr in ihrem Büro im R. 107 in der Zentralbibliothek
- weitere Termine sind nach Vereinbarung möglich
- Tel.: 0231 - 755 4038