- We are currently in the process of implementing a new, more functional design on the Wiki. While testing the new design, there will be glitches and incorrect depictions of pages.
- We will try to keep these tests as short as possible, so if a page is not depicted properly, please try again after a couple of minutes. Should you encounter further problems, please send us an email: email@example.com.
Office Hours Academic Center Winter Semester 2018/19
- If you need help with your research, presentations, exam preparation or written works, you can come to the Academic Center (R. 3.218).
- You can find our office hours for the winter semester 2018/19 here.
M4 LABG 2009/2016: Exam Dates Winter Semester 2018/19
- You can find the dates for the exams in M4 (LABG) here (updated on October 4).
American Studies: Module 5 Exam LABG 2009/2016
- For information on the additional date on October 22, please see here.
- There will be two dates for this written exam in the WS 2018/19.
- 01 February 2019, 18:00-19:30, HS 1/ EF 50
- 21 March 2019, 16:00-17:30, H. 001, Seminarraumgebäude 1
- You will have to register for this exam in person. The personal registration deadline is 06 December 2018 (for the exam dates in February as well as March). For more information click here.
Course Registration Amerikanistik: Extra Office Hours
- We offer additional office hours on the following dates:
- Tue, October 16, 08:00 – 16:00
- Wed, October 17, 08:00 - 11:45 & 14:15 - 16:00
Sprachpraxis Exam Results SoSe2018
- The results for the IFC Exam are now available here.
- The results for the WOC Exam are now available here.
- Please take note of these extraordinary upcoming events. Everyone is heartily invited!
- 8.10.2018–7.11.2018: Photo Exhibition "Fourscapes and Chronotopes"
- The IAA Conversation Group will have its first meeting this semester on Monday October 22nd from 17:30 onwards at the CU Bar in Dortmund (Kampstr.41 / cu-bar.de). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining us so that we know how many people to expect.
- 30.10.2018: Play: "Mary Shelley" (2012)
- 31.10.2018: Reading & Discussion: Frankenstein, Or the Modern Prometheus (1818)
- For more information, please see the descriptions under "Spotlight" below.
Umschreibung in LABG 2016
- Hier finden Sie Informationen zur Umschreibung in den reakkreditierten Studiengang LABG 2016.
Aktuelle Änderungen von Sprechstundenterminen
- Mark Schmitt: The office hour on 19 October has to be cancelled due to illness.
- Sibylle Klemm: My office hours on Wednesdays, 17.10. and 24.10. have to be cancelled due to a work related trip to Atlanta. I will be available via email during my absence.
- Sekretariat: Please note the changed office hours on the following dates:
- 22.10.2018: 08.00 - 12.00 & 12.15 - 16.00
- 23.10.2018: 08.00 - 10.00
- 24.10.2018: 10.00 - 12.00 & 14.00 - 16.00
- 29.10.2018: 08.00 - 12.00 & 12.15 - 16.00
- Julia Sattler:
- Between 25 October and 31 October, 2018, my access to e-mail will be very limited. There will be no office hour on October 30, 2018. I apologize for any inconveniences.
- I will be out of town for work-related obligations between November 19 and November 27, 2018. Please understand that it might take me a while to answer your e-mails during this time. Due to these obligations I also have to cancel my office hours on November 20 and 27. I will offer an additional office hour on November 29 from 10:30 to 12:00 (noon). You can also contact me to make other appointments before or after my absence.
- Warsa Melles: Linguistics II grades can be collected during office hours.
Photo Exhibition "Fourscapes and Chronotopes"
- Photo exhibition by Christiane Maria Binder, Nataliya Gorbina, Kieran Harrington, and Sarah Neef
- When: 8.10.2018, 17:00 – 7.11.2018, 16:00
- Where: central library
- Opening: Monday, 8.10.2018, 17:00 in the foyer of the central library
- The exhibition takes a visual approach to temporal and spatial relationships in life and in photography as another mode of artistic representation. The contributors come from Ireland, Russia and Germany. They explore their own as well as foreign cultures through the lens of the camera, discovering surprising vistas of life abroad, but also unusual aspects of life at home. The extraordinary, the unorthodox, the exciting or the uncanny lurking beneath the surface of the ordinary can become the centre of attention at any moment.
In taking these approaches the four contributors employ highly different perspectives, using very individual methods and styles. The photo exhibition presents a selection of chronotopic encounters with nature, landscape, cityscape, culture, and art. You are welcome to share these experiences, respond to the visual epiphanies and engage in discussions.
- For more information, please see the poster.
Absolvierendenfeier WS 18/19
- Auch dieses Semester laden die Fakultät Kulturwissenschaften und die Fachschaftsräte Sprachkultur und Englisch zur Absolvierendenfeier ein. Das Einladungsschreiben finden Sie hier.
- Stattfinden wird die Veranstaltung am 19.10.2018 ab 18:00 Uhr (Programmbeginn 18:30) im Internationalen Begegnungszentrum (IBZ).
30.10.2018: Bühnenstück "Mary Shelley" (2012)
“How mutable are our feelings, and how strange is that clinging love
we have of life even in the excess of misery!”
- "Mary Shelley" (Helen Edmundson, UK 2012 [in parts & in English])
- English Theater Group Studiobühne U215, TU Dortmund, Emil-Figge-Straße 50
- 18:00, ca. 90 minutes
- free admission
- As part of our Frankenreads-week, we invite you to an evening about Mary Shelley's life as British playwright Helen Edmundson interpreted it in her play of the same name in 2012. The English Theater Group of the Department of British and American Studies at TU Dortmund University will show us excerpts of her view on the captivating family history behind the author Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin Shelley. The performance invites the audience to have a look at the often tragic backgrounds that led to the creation of one of the most famous horror stories of world literature.
31.10.2018: Reading & Discussion: Frankenstein, Or the Modern Prometheus (1818)
- Reading & Discussion (in German and English)
- Ev. Pauluskirche, Schützenstraße 35, 44147 Dortmund
- 18:00 (doors open at 17:30)
- free admission
- On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s global bestseller Frankenstein, Or the Modern Prometheus (1818), the English Department of TU Dortmund University organises a special Halloween-Reading. Initiated by the Keats-Shelley Association of America, there will be so-called Frankenreads-Events on Halloween 2018 in more than 90 countries all over the world (frankenreads.org). In cooperation with Dortmund’s Paulus Church we dive into the uncanny atmosphere of this piece of world literature. Mary Shelley‘s Frankenstein has proven its incredible topicality – now and then – no matter if dealing with controversies concerning religion, politics, or the state of natural sciences.
On Halloween 2018, the event church of the Protestant Lydia-parish will transform into a place where entertainment meets cultural knowledge. Scholars from different departments of TU Dortmund University will read parts of the original text (in English) and complement these passages with critical perspectives (in German), multimedia installations and musical interludes.
We invite everybody to come and hear, discuss and celebrate with us one of the most famous works of Gothic fiction in this unique setting.
Call for Papers: Annual Inter-Varietal Applied Corpus Studies (IVACS) One-Day Symposium
- Convenors: Kieran Harrington and Patricia Ronan
- The Annual IVACS One-Day Symposium, which will be hosted by the Institute of British and American Studies, Dortmund University, will be held on the 29th March, 2019. The venue for the symposium is the IBZ Conference Centre in the University of Dortmund. This edition’s main theme is ‘Corpus Linguistics and the Classroom’.
- Abstracts should not exceed 300 words (excluding references).
- The deadline for receipt of abstracts is the 23rd of November 2018.
- Outcome of CfP: December 14th, 2018.
- Abstracts should be sent by email, as MS Word documents to: email@example.com
- Please see here for further information and here for the website.
Young researchers Forum of the English Department TU Dortmund (YRFE)
- Provide a platform for support
- Encourage & guide young researchers
- Discuss our work
- Practice and set objectives for research
- Carry out joined projects with other institutions
- Encourage participants’ presentations at conferences
- Express thinking skills and imbibe a sense of confidence
- Practice ability to organize and analyse available resources
- Adopt and develop creativity
- Share ideas on analytical tools and research methods
- All sections of the English department (all researchers including MA students).
- Presentation of papers, research findings etc.
- Scheduled Meetings:
- To be discussed by the group.
- If you have any questions or would like to join the forum, please contact Bridget Fonkeu.
Praktika an bilingualen Kindertagesstätten und Grundschulen in Dortmund
Wer die Chance nutzen möchte, an bilingual unterrichtenden Kitas und Schulen in Dortmund englischsprachige Lehrkräfte zu unterstützen, innovative Unterrichtskonzepte 'first-hand' zu erleben und praktische Erfahrungen zu machen, kann sich an folgende Ansprechpartnerinnen wenden:
- Grundschulen: Vera Gelissen, DIPS Koordinatorin und Schulleitung Kreuzgrundschule firstname.lastname@example.org
Die Praktikumsplätze sind für alle Englischstudierenden offen, die Anzahl von Praktikumsplätzen ist nicht begrenzt und ein bestimmter Zeitraum für die Anmeldung ist nicht festgelegt.
Hilfe und Unterstützung bei der Literaturrecherche
Die Fachreferentin Christina Ringel bietet folgende reguläre Sprechstunden für Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaftler an:
- Mi., 9.30 - 10.30 Uhr in der Emil-Figge-Bibliothek
- Fr., 11.30 - 12.30 Uhr in ihrem Büro im R. 107 in der Zentralbibliothek
- weitere Termine sind nach Vereinbarung möglich
- Tel.: 0231 - 755 4038
Bildnachweis: © see file description page