|Summer Semester 21|
Courses in the SS 21
- A list of courses in past semesters can be found here.
Responsibilities & Research Interests
- Queer Studies/Queer Representations/Queer Theory
- Spoken Word and Performance Poetry
- Sports Narratives in American Culture
Laura Kost is a PhD student and research assistant at TU Dortmund University, where she has earned both her BA and MA in Applied Literary and Cultural Studies with minors in Linguistics and Sociology. Her dissertation project explores the use of American cultural narratives in autobiographies of athletes. She is currently teaching introductions to American Literary and Cultural Studies. Her research and teaching interests include LGBTQ* representation in popular culture as well as sports and athleticism in the US.
Vorträge/Lectures and Presentations
- “Endurance, Extremes, and Enjoyment: Narratives of Transformation in Trail- and Mountain-Running”. Mediating Mountains, 46th International Conference of the Austrian Association of American Studies, University of Innsbruck, 22-24 November 2019
- “Coming of GAYge: Challenging Heteronormativity and Labeling in Contemporary Young Adult Literature”. Post Graduate Forum (PGF) 2018 of the German Association of American Studies (DGfA/GAAS), 8-10 November 2018.
- “Spoken Word as Politics: Saul Williams, W.E.B. Du Bois and Mobilizing People through Modern Sorrow Songs”. Pop Goes Politics: Student Conference in American Studies 2014, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, 17-18 October 2014.
- Co-Organizer of the “2020 Ruhr PhD Forum in American Studies." Ruhr Universität Bochum/TU Dortmund University, 31 January/1 February 2020
- Co-Organizer of the 11th International Walt Whitman Week, Symposium and Seminar, TU Dortmund University, 28 May – 2 June 2018