Stay Abroad

Aus Iaawiki
Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche

Mandatory SA.jpg

Current Information
  • As students studying under the BML 2005 regulations are required to have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of the winter semester 2014/15, those who have not completed their Stay Abroad yet should keep in mind that they need to hand in an essay (approximately 15 pages) that needs to be graded before they can get their credit points.
  • The following information is solely relevant for students studying under the BML 2005 and LABG 2009 regulations and only contains information about the Stay Abroad as a mandatory requirement (M4 and M1, respectively).
  • For more detailed information about the various possibilities (studying, working, interning) to either complete the mandatory Stay Abroad or for organizing a stay abroad apart from this requirement, please see here or refer to the homepage of the Referat Internationales.

General Information

The Stay Abroad is mandatory for both BML 2005 and LABG 2009.

  • If you want your stay abroad to be recognised, you must spend time in an English-speaking country with exposure to native speakers of English in a rich English-language environment.

What counts as an English-speaking country?

  • The UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand are all unreservedly fine. A good test is: if you were on the street, would they be speaking English as a first language (not can they, or is it an official language, or as a lingua franca, but do they?).
  • IN: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago
  • OUT: Cameroon, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Malta, Morocco
  • MAYBE: Ghana and Fiji we have accepted in the past if the environment is judged to be sufficiently rich. Former British colonies may be possible, but not necessarily.

Can I get credit for a previous stay abroad?

  • If you are an LABG 2009 student, you may get credit (full or partial) for previous prolonged stays in an English-speaking country. However, this will be judged on a case by case basis.
  • The required (minimum) length of the Stay Abroad is:
    • for LABG 2009: 12 weeks. Students may split this stay into three periods of no less than 4 weeks each if necessary.
  • For an extended Stay Abroad, please see here or refer to the homepage of the Referat Internationales.

How to plan your Stay Abroad

  • Before students do any planning, they should see the respective staff member (see table below) to discuss their ideas about staying abroad. This one-on-one consultation is called Project Design and Evaluation in the KVV. Students will not receive a grade for this individual project consultation.
  • LABG 2009 only: If students are planning to do the Berufsfeldpraktikum during their Stay Abroad, they need to contact their Berufsfeldpraktikum advisor before consulting the Stay Abroad supervisor.
  • BML 2005: During (or soon after) the Stay Abroad, students need to produce an extended piece of written work of approximately 15 pages (1,5 space) in English based in some way on their experiences abroad. It does not have to be a piece of academic writing, but it should be an analytical and reflective essay. As students are required to have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of the winter semester 2014/15, they should keep in mind that they need to have their report passed and graded before they obtain their credit points. They need to clarify the correction time of this report with their supervisors beforehand. They should not assume that the signature is a mere formality! In other words, they should not hand in their work stating that they desperately need the signature by yesterday.
  • LABG 2009: Students do not have to write a report to get the credit points for their Stay Abroad, but they have to hand in some form of proof of having successfully completed your Stay Abroad (e.g. a letter of recommendation).


LABG 2009
My Last Name Starts With… So I Should See…
A-F Richard Bell
G-K Barbara Hamblock
L-R Christopher Dierich
S-Z Emily Stutz

Extended Stay Abroad

If students want to spend time in a (non-)English-speaking environment longer than the expected 5 or 12 weeks, they should consult the following page.