Stay Abroad

Aus Iaawiki


From now on, please retrieve all information you used to gather from the wiki from our new Anglistik & Amerikanistik website. The wiki will still be online for the WS 21/22, but no longer receive any further substantial updates.

There are numerous reasons for this switch and further information will be send out to all staff soon. For students, this simply means a different website to check for your information.


Mandatory SA.jpg

  • Informationen zum Auslandsaufenthalt (eventuell inklusive des Berufsfeldspraktikums) in Corona Zeiten
    • Aufgrund der aktuellen Situation ist es möglich, auch ohne Auslandsaufenthalt in den Master zu wechseln. Voraussetzung hierfür ist, dass alle anderen Leistungen in Englisch und den anderen Fächern vollständig erbracht wurden und die Bachelorarbeit bestanden wurde. In diesem Falle reicht es, wenn ein formloser Antrag auf Studiengangwechsel vom Bachelor in den Master an das Team 5 ( geschickt wird, aus dem deutlich wird, dass aufgrund von COVID ein Auslandsaufenthalt (ggf. inklusive des Berufsfeldpraktikums) nicht erbracht werden konnte. Der Fall wird dann geprüft und wenn alle anderen Leistungen vollständig vorliegen, wird das Studierendensekretariat die Umschreibung in den Master vornehmen. Die fehlende Leistung des Auslandsaufenthalts (eventuell inklusive des Berufsfeldspraktikums) muss bis zur Zulassung der Masterarbeit nachgeholt werden.
  • The following information is solely relevant for students studying under the LABG 2009 and LABG 2016 regulations and only contains information about the Stay Abroad as a mandatory requirement (M4 and Modul Auslandsaufenthalt, respectively).
  • For more detailed information about the various possibilities (studying, working, interning) to either complete the mandatory Stay Abroad or for organizing a stay abroad apart from this requirement, please see here or refer to the homepage of the Referat Internationales.

General Information

The Stay Abroad is mandatory for LABG 2009 and LABG 2016.


  • If you want your stay abroad to be recognised, you must spend time in an English-speaking country with exposure to native speakers of English in a rich English-language environment.

What counts as an English-speaking country?

  • The UK, Ireland, the USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand are all unreservedly fine. A good test is: if you were on the street, would they be speaking English as a first language (not can they, or is it an official language, or as a lingua franca, but do they?).
  • IN: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, The Bahamas, Trinidad and Tobago
  • OUT: Cameroon, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Malta, Morocco
  • MAYBE: Ghana and Fiji we have accepted in the past if the environment is judged to be sufficiently rich. Former British colonies may be possible, but not necessarily.

Can I get credit for a previous stay abroad?

  • You may get credit (full or partial) for previous prolonged stays in an English-speaking country. However, this will be judged on a case by case basis.


  • The required (minimum) length of the Stay Abroad is 12 weeks. Students may split this stay into three periods of no less than 4 weeks each if necessary.
  • For an extended Stay Abroad, please see here or refer to the homepage of the Referat Internationales.
How to plan your Stay Abroad


  • Before students do any planning, they should see the respective staff member (see table below) to discuss their ideas about staying abroad. This one-on-one consultation is called Project Design and Evaluation in the KVV. Students will not receive a grade for this individual project consultation.
  • If students are planning to do the Berufsfeldpraktikum during their Stay Abroad, they need to contact their Berufsfeldpraktikum advisor before consulting the Stay Abroad supervisor.


Students do not have to write a report to get the credit points for their Stay Abroad, but they have to hand in some form of proof of having successfully completed the Stay Abroad (e.g. a letter of recommendation).

My last name starts with... A-H I-O P-Z I should see: Richard Bell Barbara Hamblock Emily Stutz
Extended Stay Abroad

If students want to spend time in a (non-)English-speaking environment longer than the expected 12 weeks, they should consult the following page.